Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day

At the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, 91 years ago, the Armistice was signed ending WWI. That day became known as Armistice Day and in 1954, the US changed it to honor all Veterans and it was henceforth known as Veterans Day in the US (I believe it's still celebrated as Armistice Day in many other countries). This Veterans Day, I would like to take the opportunity to honor three Veterans that have had an impact in my life. I would like to honor my grandfathers for their service to this country.

The first is Grandpa Ray (my paternal grandfather). He served in WWII in the US Navy. He enlisted towards the end of the war and continued to serve for another few years after the war. Once he got out of the Navy he used the GI Bill to go to college and then went to work for an electric company. Unfortunately, I never knew him that well since he passed away when I was about four.

Grandpa Ray

The second is Grandpa Mac (my maternal grandfather). He was a little to young to enlist during WWII, but joined the army afterwards. I didn't realize this until I had called him to get his service dates, but he had gotten out for a year or so and then reenlisted. He served for over 20 years and retired as a Master Gunnery Sergeant. They were stationed in places such as Greece, Iran, Taiwan and Germany.

Grandpa Mac Sampler I stitched for him

The final person I want to honor is Grandpa Fred (my paternal step-grandfather). He retired as a LtCol from the Army. He served with Gen Patton in WWII. I always loved hearing his stories from that time and from his time teaching at West Point. Fred would always greet you with a smile. I want to honor him today because this past Sunday we lost him, as we continue to lose the WWII veterans almost daily. RIP Fred ... you will be greatly missed.

Remember the fallen, those who have served and those who are serving today and every day. God Bless!

1 comment:

Molly said...

It is a shame that we are not doing more for our veterans and service men and women. I have a very good friend who has been serving in Afghanistan with the 10th mountain div out of fort drum. He has done so much for our country and I want to send my prayers and thoughts to him and his troop today.

I work for a company that is donating products to veterans today. The company is Prescription Audio, and they work with the army to supply audio products that benefit people showing signs of PTSD. You can learn more about this at: http://cli.gs/h6n6mN