Thursday, May 29, 2014

Throwback Thursday Stories: Graduation



Today you get two throwback pictures for the price of one :). One is from 9 years ago and the other is from 33 years ago.


So the story behind the photos: I am a second generation graduate from the United States Naval Academy. What I find amazing about these photos is that they took place 24 years apart (to the day) and that my father shook hands with and received his diploma from then Vice-President George H. W. Bush and I had the opportunity to shake hands with and receive my diploma from his son, President George W. Bush. The president, vice-president and Secretary of State rotate between the three service academies' graduations each year so not every class will have the President at their graduation.

I just remember that I had to walk across the entire stage to receive my diploma and commission from the President. Oh - a little more to the story behind the actual picture ... the official photographers were in a really terrible location to get good photos of the first 100 or so graduates. My husband found this and another photo taken by some of the yearbook photographers, so that I would have a much better photo of the occasion.

I can't believe that nine years has passed since I walked across that stage. We'll see if there are any future generations that will follow in our footsteps.


2 comments:

:) said...

That is really neat, So you both got to shake hands with a Bush - too cool

Susan said...

Such special photos! Very cool to see them side by side, and that you and your dad were both congratulated by President Bush. Thanks for sharing your story!